Scanner and your On Screen Android Keyboard
The newer versions of Android will not display the system keyboard because the scanner behaves as an external keyboard and the device thinks that is what it is. In order to get around this the next thing to do, therefore is to go into the settings on your tablet and turn Bluetooth off so that we can use the onscreen keyboard.
- Go to the Play Store and search for an App called ‘Hackers Keyboard’ (ignore the unfortunate name). It will have ‘Esc’ in black on what looks like a grey keyboard key.
- Download and install the application.
- Accept permissions (none are needed)
- When the app has downloaded press the ‘OPEN’ button.
- At the top left of the screen tap ‘Enable keyboard’.
- Next select ‘Hacker’s Keyboard’ and press the Android back button as shown below.
- At the top left tap on 'Set Input Method'. A small popup like that below will appear. Make sure the switch to 'Show Virtual Keyboard' is toggled on and select 'Hacker's Keyboard'.
Turn Bluetooth back on and tap on the name of the scanner to ensure it’s connected.
The Hacker’s keyboard will appear where appropriate in the POS for keying in transaction IDs or for adding a customer.